Survival blogs can get pretty serious sometimes so it’s nice to toss in a not so serious post every now and then. I thought I would share with you the new Board Game I picked up a few days ago. That’s right, I said BOARD GAME – old school, right? But wait, it get’s better… you are going to be jealous.
Don’t plan on picking this game up at your local shopping center either – it’s from the early ’70s and looks every bit of it. Believe it or not, the title is OUTDOOR SURVIVAL – a game about wilderness skills. I’ll tell you how I got mine at the bottom of this post.
Does that look ’70s or what? I haven’t even played it yet but I’m pretty stoked to sit down this winter and play a survival board game by the fire. It doesn’t get much better than that.
That’s the back of the box. You like how I threw the Wetterlings Camp Axe in the photo for general effect?
Produced and marketed by The Avalon Hill Company and Stackpole Books, this board game is 5 games in one. Below are the awesome scenarios:
- LOST: in which all players take the part of a most inexperienced woodsman and make survival decisions to get out.
- SURVIVAL: places experienced woodsman in emergency situations.
- SEARCH: a game of experience versus inexperience – three players trying to locate one who is lost.
- RESCUE: searchers must not only find a lost party but return all to safety in good shape.
- PURSUE: the hunted and the hunters, escape, people after people, or man chasing beast.
Sounds awesome, right?
The game board itself represents approximately 13,000 square miles of woods, rough terrain, mountains, plains, rivers and lakes that players must navigate through and around using survival knowledge.
The game even comes with what they call a SURVIVAL PRIMER which is a great little book about wilderness survival skills that covers the basics about shelter, fire, navigation, first aid, etc… I looked through it and it’s actually some great information.
So it seems that actually knowing some survival skills will give you an ‘edge’ in the game. I hope this means I never lose, but I doubt it.
So by now you’re thinking, DANG – where can I get this cool old game? I got mine on EBAY. I was searching for some old survival books to throw on the bookcase at Willow Haven and came across this gem. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it. Just search OUTDOOR SURVIVAL BOARD GAME. As of when I wrote this post there were several available. If they all get snatched up, just check back later as I’m sure more will come on-line.
So, now, I just need to find someone who wants to play a Wilderness Survival Board Game. This may take a while…
Board Game + Survival Learning – why didn’t I think of this!
Remember, it’s not IF but WHEN,
- Creek’s First Primitive Skills Manual: The Unofficial Hunger Games Wilderness Survival Guide
- 2 Tricks to Spit-Roasting Small Game Over an Open Fire
- How To Field Dress a Squirrel – an article by Creek Stewart on ArtofManliness.com
- Bug Out Bag Article Featured on Artofmanliness.com
- SURVIVAL – Basic Skills Course 101