This Sunday, June 7th, at 9pm eastern ONLY on The Weather Channel
On the eve of the premiere of Season 2 of FAT GUYS IN THE WOODS I thought I’d take a minute and write a letter to the blog subscribers here at Willow Haven Outdoor. Many of you were blog subscribers long before FAT GUYS existed and you’ve watched my career in the survival industry develop over the past 6-10 years or so. I am grateful for your support to say the least.
As I anxiously await America’s response to the first episode of Season 2, I just can’t keep my lips sealed about what to expect. Below are some things to look forward to Sunday night as well as a little insider info ;). Here goes:
First of all, we’re in the SONORAN DESERT of ARIZONA!
That’s right, this Indiana boy took 3 guys from Tennessee, Pennsylvania and Ohio and plopped them smack dab in the middle of one of the most hostile environments in North America. I remember when one of them said, “This looks like the surface of mars!” Time to saddle up suckers!
My favorite childhood memories…
While most kids were reading comic books, I was scouring the pages from my Dad’s ARMY SURVIVAL manuals and I LOVED THEM! In this first episode I decided to bring those pages to life. This Sunday watch Randy, Peter, Jacob and I put these skills to the test and see if they really work. I’ve been wanting to build a shelter like I’ve seen in the ARMY SURVIVAL manual my whole life and this week in the desert was my chance to do it. You’re gonna love it.
WATER….uhhhh, I mean, WHAT WATER????
There was actually a point in the week when I doubted that we could make it the rest of the time with our water supply. You’ll have to watch and see what happens but let me tell you something – I WILL NEVER take the water sources in the midwest for granted again. EVER!
FIRE (time to cuddle boys)
I can’t wait for you to learn how we started a fire in this episode. We actually used TRASH that we found and the method is going to blow your mind. It’s a fire start that I’ve practiced in a controlled environment before but never in a very real scenario. It was awesome and incredibly frustrating at the same time. I think the guys thought I was crazy when I described it to them. I played it cool, although it was crazy.
FOOD (I guess you can call it that)
This photo says it all – you do not want to miss what we eat!!!!
Oh, and do you see all of the skulls in the 1st photo in this post???? Those are boar, mule deer and jack rabbit. BTW – have you ever seen a desert jack rabbit. They are HUGE. From ground to ear tips I’ll bet you they are 36″ tall. See pics of them here if you’re curious: http://www.desertusa.com/animals/jack-rabbit.html
You are not going to believe what Randy is putting into this mouth in this scene. I hope this makes the episode so bad. If it does, I hope you’ve also eaten and thoroughly digested your dinner by the time you watch it.
You know I’m all about teaching real survival skills. I’m excited to teach you a trap I learned from a research scientist friend of mine. I saw an opportunity to deploy it in the desert and think it’s a great trap to keep in your mental tool chest.
The photo above is just before we tear into a group desert brawl. Just kidding…it’s time to celebrate a huge success. Trust me, you’ll be celebrating with us Sunday night.
MY GEAR in this episode
I always get asked a ton of questions about the gear I’m using in each episode so I thought I’d just list it out if you’re interested.
- The Desert Hood: https://www.etsy.com/listing/129821713/wasteland-cowl-v2-olive-green
- Sweater: Alpaca Wool
- Red Base Layer: Wool from Best Made Co.: http://www.bestmadeco.com
- Gaiters: Swiss Military Surplus (Wool) from ARMY/NAVY Store
- Boots: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mens-irish-setter-vaprtrek-400-gram-primaloft-insulation-waterproof-boots-mossy-oak-break-up-infinity?a=1733026
- Belt: Filson : http://www.filson.com/products/1-1-2-leather-belt.63202.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/belts-and-suspenders&fmetaProduct=1011/
- Knife # 1: Main Survival Knife: Blackbird SK5: http://www.notifbutwhensurvivalstore.com/product-p/on7500-brk.htm
- Knife # 1: Sheath: Hedgehog Leatherworks: http://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/Leather-Sheath-for-the-Ontario-Blackbird-SK5-Knife-p/h-at.htm
- Knife # 2: Buck 110 Folder
- Knife # 2: Sweet Left Side Horizontal Holster: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JSLeatherworks
- Gloves: Filson: http://www.filson.com/products/original-lined-goatskin-gloves.62022.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/gloves-and-mittens&fmetaProduct=1011/
The Gear I give the Guys:
- Finn Bear Knife: http://www.notifbutwhensurvivalstore.com/product-p/cs20pc-brk.htm
- Apocalypse Shovel: http://www.notifbutwhensurvivalstore.com/product-p/uc2979-brk.htm
- Klean Kanteen: http://www.notifbutwhensurvivalstore.com/Klean-Kanteen-40-ounce-Bottle-p/559529-lm.htm
- Stainless Mug: http://www.notifbutwhensurvivalstore.com/Oilcamp-Stainless-Steel-Utility-Mug-p/330441-lm.htm
Last season aired at 10pm eastern – we’re moving up in the world and are now on at 9pm eastern. You won’t regret watching it. You’ll learn some real skills and meet some real guys who have very real stories. If you have a moment, share this VIMEO clip promoting the premiere episode with your friends: https://vimeo.com/127084951
Oh! And I’d love to hear what you think!
Interested in being on a potential Season 3 of FGITW? Send your info/story to email@example.com.
Remember, it’s not IF but WHEN,